At Bermuda Gas, safety is our number one concern. Take a look at the following tips to keep you, your family and your business safe.
- It’s important to know how to turn your propane tank valves on and off as needed. On most Bermuda Gas valves, the hand wheel is turned clockwise several turns until tight to turn it off.
- While propane is odourless when it is created, an additional chemical is added to the gas in order to give it its recognisable scent. Familiarise yourself with this distinct smell in order to quickly identify a leak should one occur.
- If there is a leak or another emergency, be sure to shut off the gas completely and call Bermuda emergency services on 298-6114.
- Water is damaging! The internal safety mechanism of your appliances can be affected by water and cause them to malfunction. If this is the case, call us at 295-3111, to have our technicians replace them immediately.
Safety for your gas ranges
- Check the colour of the flame. If it is blue, your gas range is operating as it should. If the flame is yellow the air inlets may be clogged or the burners may need adjusting.
- Do not cover the bottom of your oven with foil – it can restrict air circulation.
- Always use your grill outdoors, in a well-ventilated area.
- Always follow all of the manufacturer’s instructions and keep written materials and manuals in a safe, accessible place.
- Make sure the grill burner controls are turned off and keep the cylinder valve closed and plugged when not in use.
- Make sure the gas grill is shut off and cool to the touch before covering your grill after use.
- Store cylinders upright at all times (in transport, storage and in use) and outdoors away from dryer and furnace vents or other sources of heat.
- After filling, take your cylinder home immediately. Keep the cylinder upright and your car ventilated. Do not leave the cylinder in your car.
- When your grill is not in use, cover disconnected hose-end fittings and burner air intakes with small plastic bags, or obtain protective fitting caps from your propane supplier to keep out dirt, insects and moisture.
- Before lighting your propane gas grill burner, check all connections for tightness.
- Never use matches or lighters to check for leaks!
- If there is a significant release of gas or a fire, call the Bermuda Fire Service immediately and move all people and pets away from the unit.
- Do not smoke while handling the propane cylinder.
- Do not use, store or transport your cylinder where it would be exposed to high temperatures, e.g. in a parked car.
- Do not store the cylinder indoors or in an enclosed area.
- Keep appliances such as heaters and fire-logs clean! Lint and dirt need to be regularly removed to ensure safe and secure operation of your heating appliances.